Skip to main content

Kids supporting kids: action

Well, so Kids supporting kids is ON! This is about involving kids on a collaboration network. It is not only asking them "to give something for poor people", it is about letting them know who, where and why. We should do something with a purpose, and as a collaborative action  this is a reciprocal donation.

Actors:
- Donors: kids from a school in Riobamba, Ecuador [1]
- Receiver: kids from Guayaquil, scholars at The Starfish Foundation

I talked to donors so that they understood what TAMOJA was doing and why it was being done.

We all know the statement "Children are the future". What does it exactly means? The future "what"? They should first know their present, to become the integral professionals in the future. As the MDG by achieving primary education, demand for secondary education grows, and so knowledge-sharing that may reduce social divides.

What we did was to connect with children so that they realized there are other "stars" with the same needs, but due to lack of resources, they are not able to reach the same achievements. By collecting supplies to support other students these stars will have what they need to start classes, and reach an appropriate knowledge level for their age and course.

The reason Why this action is taken place is to motivate both sides of the network. Donors and receivers know each other's reality, share empathy and work together to improve and treasure their time.

Action: Donors (with their parents' support) brought something to support those receivers' studies. Some brought a small bag with some supplies they also need when starting classes. Thus with this small action, I realized that they understood what and why: they gave something that is necessary for them also.

What's next?...EXCHANGE!!! Let's see what the impressions from receivers are and how donors feel about that, and listen to their opinions on how to improve the process. Stay tuned for the progress of "kids supporting kids"

This is a summary of something thought for a time and achieved in less than one week! To up the ladder, giving steps is important. I am sure this is not going to end up here.

Thank you to COMIL [1], parents, students and all supporters of the "kids supporting kids" project.

Las estrellitas apoyando a otras estrellitas desde Kids Supporting Kids
Alumnos de infantil
Cajas llenas de donaciones de los niñxs, enviadas a The Starfish Foundation en Guayaquil
See the kids supporting kids full album here:
Kids supporting kids
Do not forget that a small action can make a big change.
Are you doing something similar to this project? How is it going? Share your ideas and experiences, that will be quite enriching as experience.

[1] COMIL: Colegio Militar Combatientes de Tapi N. 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Un viaje a mi interior: Up and Forward

Travel 2018 Mi sueño de descubrir el mundo creo que empezó cuando viajé a Ecuador con un proyecto universitario de la ONU. Antes de aquella experiencia en 2006, mi mayor ilusión era regresar, el sueño de casi todo emigrante. Regresar a su tierra y recuperar todo aquello que dejó. Pensaba entonces que regresaría para compartir fiestas familiares que me estaba perdiendo, ser la mejor amiga de mis primas y salir con mi hermana a hacer ejercicios todos los domingos antes de la misa. La experiencia en Ecuador aquel 2006 dejó en mi la semilla de descubrir aquellos lugares donde pudiera contribuir. Descubrir un lugar tiene mucho mayor significado para mi que visitar. Descubrir es otro nivel de conocer un lugar, es interactuar con su gente, vivir su cultura, es amar su riqueza. Descubrir un lugar para mi es crecer como persona, en mi camino de conocerme como mujer. Para mi cada nuevo kilometro de viaje es un mundo. A personas como yo "inmigrante, ecuatoriana, mujer" las probabilid

Ear Infection in adults

Ok, at my age I should not be having annual ear infections. But I do, and after a couple of times here are my #healthtips. The first time I had ear infection I was 34! never ever in my life I've had that. My sister used to be the one of infections. I was more quarterly-colds type of child. But since they are coming late, here are a few things you should consider when having an ear infection 1. You will have fever, and with that body-ache. 2. Your ear will hurt, terribly! The first night is the worst, forget about sleeping. 3. Medications work! I'm busy all the time, I consider myself a workaholic, and I love it! So being sick is not something I want, because I would not take "sick days". Consequently I need something that works, too many things to do, and too little time to not sleep well. Consider this BEFORE the infection: 1. Do not use cotton swabs! Please don't. I don't like to feel the water in my ear after a shower, and so I over use them. Until i

Home buying process, the real deal

One day you wake up and think "I'm gonna buy a house" And keep reasoning "it is time to use all the time and effort and savings in something more durable, a real investment". That one day for me meant almost two years of digging, reading, researching, saving and most importantly building my credit. Here's a summary of what I learned when I made a first try... Workshop - you'll need this in the future, make sure is HUD approved. It is a workshop that explains what you're about to start. I recommend this. It took me a few months, because I dedicated 8 minutes some days....I think it's intended to take you 8 hours. eHome America was the provider I chose, and I got a voucher for the free workshop from a non-profit that provides resources for new buyers. Counseling - After you complete the workshop, bring your certificate of completion and meet with a counselor. I chose to go to the same agency that gave me the voucher, because they already knew